Seven years ago I wrote "25 New Year’s Resolutions for PDs and OMs." It generated a lot of positive feedback and many said they referred to it throughout the year.
Each December since then, I’ve made it a tradition to add five new resolutions to the original list. This year's additions bring the total to 55.
Here are 5 of my favorites (you can get 5 more at www.albrightandomalley.com). Try some that you think will have the biggest, most positive impact on your station and on your personal and professional life.
Have a wonderful and safe New Years, and a personally and professionally rewarding 2007! And sometime during the upcoming year, I'd love to hear how the resolutions you selected worked out.
1. Resolve not to manage by crisis. Create and adhere to a personal, daily schedule that insures each day's most important tasks -- the ones that will truly move the station forward -- will be completed.
2. Resolve to be "immediate." Maintain a mindset of, "How can I get this on the air right now?"
3. Be a “Hijacker.” Find ways to put yourself in the middle of what everyone is talking about in order to steal the limelight.
4. Spend more time in the “design process.” Too often, in the excitement of “doing,” insufficient time is spent in the “blueprint” phase. This can lead to too many instances of “this would have been bigger if we” or “we should planned for,” etc.
5. Everyday, make a conscious decision to enjoy your job, to have fun at work and to create a positive environment for those around you. The attitude you choose each day will be reflected back to you from your co-workers. If you would really rather do something other than radio, you should do it. But if you're going to continue in our industry, don't live in the past, dwell on what you don’t have, or get dragged into the depressing lair and unproductive lamentations of malcontents. If you do, you'll be unable to see the opportunities that lie ahead. Even worse, you'll miss the magic, joys and triumphs that happen around you everyday.
Domination - In 1992. KNIX/Phoenix had a yearly four book average market-leading 11.5 share, driven by a 25 cume rating. Arbitron estimated at the time that more than ...
14 hours ago