Eight years ago, about the time the Oprah magazine debuted, I wrote about Oprah as a brand and suggested these radio applications:
1. Discover what makes you special to your consumers and deliver that uniqueness on as many platforms as possible.
2. Only engage in those things that reinforce your brand’s positives. Never compromise your product or brand integrity.
3. Be relentlessly in your pursuit and maintenance of consumer trust.
Why reference an eight year old article today?
Because besides still being utterly relevant, our guest on today’s Albright and O’Malley bi-monthly Client Wide Conference call was legendary programmer John Gehron who is the GM of Harpo Radio and programs XM’s Oprah and Friends Radio channel.
John shared with us some tenets that make Oprah and Friends Radio special:
1. Know what your brand represents (for the Oprah brand, it’s “Live your best life.”)
2. Protect your brand. Examine tie-ins for potential damage and for what your brand will get out the relationship.
3. Understand and respect the audience. There’s a difference between women and “Oprah women.”
4. Put the product first. Go the extra mile for the audience; little things are noticed.
5. Understand that you are a product supplier. Find other distribution channels that your listeners use and put your product on them.
6. Encourage synergy.
What to be a great brand? Study Oprah.
Some Satisfying News: Country Radio Satisfaction Levels Tick Up - by Mike O’Malley First, “Thank you!” to all who were a part of A&O&B’s 23rd annual Pre-CRS Seminar Wednesday, February 22nd, in Nashville. From our att...
6 days ago