If you’re outside the industry, it seems almost fashionable to find reasons not to like “heritage” media like radio.
But Wednesday, at the Arbitron Client Conference/Jacob's Summit 15, Yvonne Lacey, FOX Broadcasting’s Media Supervisor, took the opposite position. FOX like radio – a lot.
Pointing out that the FOX Network originally launched exclusively with radio and in so doing created the TV spending category for radio, Yvonne shared some reasons why FOX finds radio a good partner, as well as the network’s perception of radio - pro and con
Here are some highlights.
Why FOX Likes Radio:
• Works well with other medium, enhancing buys on TV, cable
• Allows creative ways to promote; can mirror their products’ image
• Longer-length spots drive critical messages while shorter length spots solidify image
What Radio Does for FOX:
• Elevates awareness and promotes tune-in for FOX shows
• Includes on-air and on-line elements in a unique way (such as Glee audio via ftp site)
• Can mobilize listeners, particularly for FOX casting calls
• Can leverage talents’ passion for FOX shows and, in a quid pro quo, FOX supplies the talent with exclusive content, interviews, swag and more allowing audiences to perceive the talent as the expert on popular shows
• Utilizes on air and online for creative, multi-platform promotions and special content spots plus online banners, streaming and e-blasts to ‘accessorize’
• Unique promotional prizes and contest fulfillment
FOX also had some advice for radio, including improving digital accountability, making commercials more engaging, better integrating spots and marketing efforts, and taking a hard look at commercial-free policies.
But back to what FOX likes. I’ll bet your station has clients who can cite these and other benefits from their affiliation with you. Share those stories.
Or perhaps these bullets will stimulate addition thought on ways to serve an existing client, present your station to a potential new client, or create or enhance an on air or online programming element.
Feel free to share here. Your reaction, stories and ideas are always welcome!
Formats with the Most Momentum Entering 2019 – Plus One Hack to Help You Prosper - Two years ago we started a new annual post: “Formats With the Most Momentum Going into the New Year.” We use Nielsen’s Tops of 2018: Radio report for the...
1 week ago